The Ron Spencer Legacy Foundation was officially created in September 2020, following the passing of its namesake, renowned Indianapolis theater legend Ron Spencer.
Ron was a pioneer in so many ways. From his very first Indy theater performance in “Hans Brinker or The Silver Skates” with Junior Civic at Booth Tarkington Civic Theatre (at the time located downtown where Footlite Musicals resides today) to “Superior Donuts,” his final Indianapolis performance, Ron gave tirelessly of himself to theater craft and to inspiring generations of artists to come.
On learning of his passing, so many of those whose lives he touched rightly were insistent Ron be honored for his contributions to Indianapolis, to the incredible revitalization of Mass Ave, and to theater in Central Indiana.
In answer to these appeals, Ron’s niece, Cheryl Harmon, decided to take up the proverbial mantle to bring to life The Ron Spencer Legacy Foundation to ensure that not only would Ron’s legacy be preserved and memorialized, but that it would also carry on to continue supporting independent theater in Indianapolis. Our mission:
Mission, Purpose, Vision and Values of
The Ron Spencer Legacy Foundation Inc.
The purpose of The Ron Spencer Legacy Foundation is:
- to gather and maintain a historical record of Ron Spencer’s life, as well as Theatre on the Square, which he founded in 1988;
- to establish and maintain physical memorial(s) created in Mr. Spencer’s honor;
- to establish and maintain a grant program to benefit local theater groups seeking to stage performances consistent
with the Organization’s requirements; and
- other purposes as may be deemed appropriate by the Board of Directors in the future.
We are dedicated to carrying on Ron Spencer’s vision of supporting theatre that challenges audiences, includes and/or spotlights marginalized populations and broadens the artistic and social horizons in the Greater Indianapolis area. We envision a community where artists have the financial support needed to produce great theatre in new and innovative ways, and who know the sacrifices and stories of those who came before.
- We believe the impact of Ron Spencer and his tireless efforts extends far beyond the walls of any building.
- We share a common belief that theatre trailblazers are an essential part of any strong economy, and should be celebrated as such.
- We honor all those who have paved the way for theatre in Indianapolis, and we believe the greatest tribute comes from supporting and encouraging those who are to come.
- We will bring a spirit of positivity, creativity and open-mindedness to all our activities, events and programs.